Canadian woman, former foster daughter to have child
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 17 2001 12:00 AM ET
A lesbian couple in British Columbia who began their relationship as a foster mother and daughter are having a baby. Valerie Spelay, 32, and Candice Prince, 18, first met in 1998 at church. Spelay, formerly known as Valerie Hetu, asked for permission to become Princes foster parent, with Prince coming to live with Hetu, her then husband, and her son. The women say their relationship has always been consensual, but Spelay was convicted last March of sexually exploiting Prince and given a six-month suspended sentence. Prince is now 17 weeks pregnant with a baby conceived with sperm from an anonymous donor found over the Internet. The first three months I was really sick, with all the changes and everything happening in my body, but now its really good, Prince said.
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Another Lap for Michael Phelps’s Self-Proclaimed Girlfriend
- 5 James Baldwin Quotes That Foreshadowed Ferguson
- Why the Mississippi Marriage Win Is Our Most Important Yet
- Meet This Year's 'Prime Time 25'
- Texas AG: Same-Sex Couples' Request to Marry 'Untimely, Out of Order'