Canadian woman, former foster daughter to have child
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 17 2001 12:00 AM ET
A lesbian couple in British Columbia who began their relationship as a foster mother and daughter are having a baby. Valerie Spelay, 32, and Candice Prince, 18, first met in 1998 at church. Spelay, formerly known as Valerie Hetu, asked for permission to become Princes foster parent, with Prince coming to live with Hetu, her then husband, and her son. The women say their relationship has always been consensual, but Spelay was convicted last March of sexually exploiting Prince and given a six-month suspended sentence. Prince is now 17 weeks pregnant with a baby conceived with sperm from an anonymous donor found over the Internet. The first three months I was really sick, with all the changes and everything happening in my body, but now its really good, Prince said.
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- Emily Blunt: 'I Want to Be a Gay Icon'
- Gay Comic Publisher Undaunted by Apple's iBook Censorship
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment