Gay political group picks straight L.A. mayoral candidate over gay one
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 17 2001 1:00 AM ET
The Stonewall Democratic Club in Los Angeles has endorsed former state assembly speaker Antonio Villaraigosa for mayor, choosing him over openly gay city councilman Joel Wachs, the Los Angeles Daily News reports. Villaraigosa has also been endorsed by the Los Angeles County Democratic Party and the Los Angeles County Federation of Labor, AFL-CIO. The nonpartisan election for mayor is to be held April 10. The incumbent, Republican Richard Riordan, is barred from running for reelection because of term limits.
- Living Trans, From Iran to New York City
- Op-ed: What I Learned From My High School's Gay English Teacher
- White House to Unveil New HIV Strategy
- I Am Jazz: 14, Transgender, and the Star of My Own Docu-series
- In the Galleries: Are We Different?
- Op-ed: The Far-Reaching Consequences of Dating App Racism