Scientists reverse transsexual sea snail trend
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 17 2001 1:00 AM ET
Marine biologists in Australia believe they have stopped a rash of transsexual sea snails that were endangering the species in Melbournes Port Phillip Bay. In the 1980s researchers discovered that a boat-cleaning chemical called tribultylin was causing female marine snails to grow penises, making them infertile. Since 1989, however, ships less than 82 feet in length have been prohibited from using the chemical, and researchers say the female snails are now remaining female.
- What Happened Inside the Supreme Court Today
- 17 Celebs Who Are Rooting – And Tweeting – for Marriage Equality
- High School Jocks Attend W. Virginia Prom Together
- Antigay Heckler Dragged Out of Supreme Court
- LISTEN: Oral Arguments of Obergefell v. Hodges
- Hillary Clinton's Rainbow Logo Leads Politicians Proclaiming 'Love Can't Wait'