Malaysian government considers counting transsexuals as they identify
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 21 2001 1:00 AM ET
The government in conservative, mostly Muslim Malaysia will consider a request to recognize transsexual men as women, a newspaper reported Sunday. Shahrizat Abdul Jalil, head of the Women and Family Development Ministry, said she would respond soon to a request from a group of male-to-female transsexuals that they be legally recognized as women, the Star newspaper reported. We want to give this group some dignity so that they can move around in the community without being looked down upon, Shahrizat said. This is very important.
- WATCH: This Indiana Pizzeria Won't Cater Gay Weddings
- More Celebs Tweet Off on Indiana
- WATCH: Seth Meyers Takes Down Indiana's New Antigay Legislation
- An Open Letter from a Transgender Rabbi to Trans Teens Everywhere
- WATCH: Conan's Hilarious Interview With Indiana's 'Religious Freedom Czar'
- Arrow and The Flash Stars: It's Time for a Gay Superhero on TV (Video)