Arkansas's gay foster parent ban challenged
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 22 2002 11:00 PM ET
A civil rights group that filed a 1999 lawsuit against Arkansas's ban on gay foster parents has asked a judge to forgo an upcoming trial and overturn the ban, saying it was based on stereotypes and prejudice.
The American Civil Liberties Union originally filed the suit in chancery court on behalf of several prospective foster parents, including a gay couple and a heterosexual married man whose gay son lived with him. A chancery judge transferred the case to circuit court, and a trial date was set for November 5. But Rita Sklar, executive director of the Arkansas chapter of the ACLU, said Tuesday that the state does not have any evidence to support its reasoning for the ban.
"For example, while they're claiming that gays and lesbians are more likely to abuse children, they do not have one case of that on record in Arkansas," she said. "We're saying that the policy is not based on what is in the best interests of the child, which is the standard the court should be using. It is based solely on bias, bigotry, hatred, fear; call it what you like."
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- 10 Snarky Quotes That Will Make You Miss Michael Kors on Project Runway
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Differences Don't Make Families Inferior 14 min 52 sec ago
- Parenting Nonprofit Serves Up Resource to Answer LGBT Parents' Questions 15 min 40 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark December 11 2013 7:01 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker December 11 2013 6:45 PM