Church appeals decision favoring lesbian pastor
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 22 2002 11:00 PM ET
A decision to dismiss a complaint against a Seattle lesbian minister accused of violating the United Methodist Church's ban on gays being ordained or serving as pastors is being appealed, according to a Wednesday press release from the church's Pacific Northwest Conference Council.
Karen Dammann came out of the closet in February 2001 when asking the Pacific Northwest Annual Conference for another church appointment. She had served as pastor of Seattle's Woodland Park Church until 1999, when she took a leave. After receiving her letter, Methodist bishop Elias Galvan, under church orders, filed a complaint against Dammann. However, a conference investigative committee in July decided to dismiss the complaint.
The Rev. Jim Finkbeiner, who represented the Methodist Church in the case, has filed an appeal with the committee on appeals for the church's western jurisdiction.The request states as grounds for the appeal "grievous errors of church law or administration."
Dammann, who is on family leave from active ministry, continues in good standing with the church.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- You Think You’re Worried?
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional December 04 2013 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs December 04 2013 4:36 PM
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth December 04 2013 3:37 PM