Church appeals decision favoring lesbian pastor
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 23 2002 12:00 AM ET
A decision to dismiss a complaint against a Seattle lesbian minister accused of violating the United Methodist Church's ban on gays being ordained or serving as pastors is being appealed, according to a Wednesday press release from the church's Pacific Northwest Conference Council.
Karen Dammann came out of the closet in February 2001 when asking the Pacific Northwest Annual Conference for another church appointment. She had served as pastor of Seattle's Woodland Park Church until 1999, when she took a leave. After receiving her letter, Methodist bishop Elias Galvan, under church orders, filed a complaint against Dammann. However, a conference investigative committee in July decided to dismiss the complaint.
The Rev. Jim Finkbeiner, who represented the Methodist Church in the case, has filed an appeal with the committee on appeals for the church's western jurisdiction.The request states as grounds for the appeal "grievous errors of church law or administration."
Dammann, who is on family leave from active ministry, continues in good standing with the church.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Robbie Rogers Becomes First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
- French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash
- Op-ed: Democrats Throw Queers Under the Bus—Again
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television Jason Collins Calls It a 'Slam-Dunk!' and More Fake Gay Reviews for Behind the Candelabra May 25 2013 6:30 PM
- Food and Drink Want to Eat a Hot Dog Named After Harvey Fierstein? May 25 2013 5:53 PM
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash May 25 2013 3:02 PM
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings May 25 2013 1:56 PM
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Victim's Parents Speak May 25 2013 1:21 PM
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 May 25 2013 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' May 25 2013 12:35 PM