Medical board disciplines Arndt
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 23 2002 12:00 AM ET
The openly gay Boston surgeon who recently had his medical license suspended because he left a patient on an operating table while he went to run an errand has been disciplined by the state medical board in connection with another matter.
The board voted Wednesday to reprimand David C. Arndt and ordered him to complete 100 hours of community service in connection with a conviction on a charge of filing a false affidavit to help his former partner stay illegally in the country. Arndt, who was charged in U.S. district court in Louisiana, pleaded guilty to the charge in 1998 and was sentenced to three years' probation and fined $3,000.
On August 7 the Massachusetts board of medicine suspended Arndt for leaving the operating room July 10 while performing spinal fusion surgery to run a check to the bank. The patient, Charles Algeri, 45, of Waltham, was under anesthesia at the time, and an incision in his back had been made.
Arndt, 41, a 1992 graduate of Harvard Medical School, has said he regrets his actions but that he was in "a financial crisis" and had to pay overdue bills.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Boy Scouts Timeline
- Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo May 22 2013 10:00 PM
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? May 22 2013 8:15 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship May 22 2013 7:03 PM
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy May 22 2013 7:01 PM
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall May 22 2013 6:16 PM
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality May 22 2013 6:09 PM