Louisiana sodomy law challenge gets under way
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 05 2002 11:00 PM ET
Louisiana's nearly 200-year-old ban on oral and anal sex is as discriminatory against gays as the segregation of public facilities was against blacks, a lawyer told a trio of appeals court judges Wednesday.
"It's illegal in Louisiana for me to have sex...and the government of Louisiana says if I don't like it, I can go somewhere else," said John D. Rawls, an attorney for the Louisiana Electorate of Gays and Lesbians Inc. "I'm old enough to remember segregation of blacks and whites in the South...and back then it was the same thing: If you don't like it, go somewhere else." Rawls urged the state's fourth circuit court of appeals to add Louisiana to the 37 other states that have either disposed of or never had laws banning consensual oral or anal sex between adults.
The judges on the panel deciding the appeal are Joan Bernard Armstrong, Charles Jones, and David Gorbaty. Armstrong and Jones are black.
The appeals court got the case after the Louisiana supreme court in late March ruled that the sodomy ban does not violate anyone's right to privacy, one of the grounds on which LEGL initially filed the civil lawsuit. After ruling on the privacy matter, the supreme court asked the lower appeals court to decide whether the law discriminates against gay men and women. The high court also left open 10 other questions, including whether the law is arbitrarily enforced against gays and lesbians and whether it constitutes a state endorsement of religious beliefs against homosexuality.
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- New York Officials Demand Olympic Sponsors Take Action
- Is The GOP Discriminating Against Its Gay Candidates?
- Morrissey's Gay Relationship Scrubbed From U.S. Edition of Autobiography
- Nelson Mandela, Humanitarian and HIV Advocate, Dies at 95
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey 1 hour 11 min ago
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Love Starts With Acceptance 1 hour 12 min ago
- Year in Review 11 Great New Tech Gifts 1 hour 12 min ago
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain How Lesbians Have Sex - with Visual Aids! December 05 2013 7:57 PM
- Travel Why Travelers Love Palm Springs Airport December 05 2013 7:33 PM
- Travel Turkish Bazaar Opening on Vegas Strip December 05 2013 7:12 PM
- Women WATCH: Nurse: 3D is the Epic Lesbian Exploitation Hospital Thriller of the Year! December 05 2013 6:54 PM