West Hollywood man hospitalized in antigay attack
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 06 2002 12:00 AM ET
Details are emerging about the suspects in an antigay hate crime that took place early Monday morning in West Hollywood. Police have released a composite sketch of one of the perpetrators and detals about the car the suspects drove off in.
Trev Broudy, 33, was struck in the back of the head by an assailant wielding a bat and was kicked and punched as he and a male friend were walking down a sidewalk early Monday morning after having had dinner. Broudy was taken to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, where he was listed in critical condition Thursday morning after undergoing two brain surgeries, said Dep. Donald Mueller. He has been unconscious since the attack. Edward Lett, 22, of Los Angeles, was treated for minor injuries.
The suspect who attacked Broudy is described as a black man in his 20s, from 5 feet 5 to 6 feet in height, with a slim build. He wore dark clothing and a beanie. A third suspect waited in a car, described as a 1987 or 1988 Nissan four-door, faded red or brown in color, with a partial California license plate number of 3SDO or 3SOU.
"We are treating this as a high priority, not only as an assault but as a hate crime," said Capt. Lynda R. Castro of the West Hollywood sheriff's station. "This involves two gay men in a city with a significant gay population. Any attack like this is horrific. You have to treat it as an ugly incident."
The attack occurred at about 12:20 a.m. Monday just as the two friends were saying goodbye and embracing on the sidewalk. A car pulled up with the three men inside, and two of the men jumped out. The men exchanged words, and then Broudy and Lett were attacked, Castro said.
Broudy is an actor who had a small role in the 2001 independent film The Fluffer, a look inside the gay porn industry. He's also made guest appearances on various television shows, including Strange Universe and The Bold and the Beautiful.
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Boston: Major Beer Sponsor Pulls Out of St. Pat's Parade
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- This Is How Every Parent Should Respond After Their 13-Year-Old Comes Out
- These Gay Teen Lovers Are Nothing But Trash
- Do New Immigration Detention Guidelines Fail Trans Detainees?
- Uganda U.S. Suspends Health Aid to Uganda Over 'Jail the Gays' Law 16 min ago
- Travel Polaroid Museum Opening at Vegas' LINQ 24 min 57 sec ago
- Politics Boston: Major Beer Sponsor Pulls Out of St. Pat's Parade 1 hour 2 min ago
- Women 5 Reasons to Watch (or Re-Watch) Veronica Mars Now That the Movie Is Out! 1 hour 4 min ago
- Theater These Gay Teen Lovers Are Nothing But Trash 1 hour 6 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Out's Best-Dressed Man of the Week: Matt Bomer 1 hour 18 min ago
- Music WATCH: Gay Rapper Le1f Makes His Network TV Debut 1 hour 18 min ago