Florida's new voting machines cause delays
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 11 2002 12:00 AM ET
Polls opened late and machines malfunctioned Tuesday during Florida's first test of new touch-screen voting machines installed since the 2000 election fiasco.
Gubernatorial candidate Janet Reno said she would call on Gov. Jeb Bush to extend primary election voting hours because of the delays, including that at one precinct in Miami in which voting didn't begin until 11:45 a.m.--nearly five hours after polls opened.
Officials estimate that about 500 people left one precinct without getting to vote. Reno herself was delayed at her Miami precinct while election workers struggled to get the new voting machines up and running. "Any time you have a new system, you're going to have problems," said Gisela Salas, Miami-Dade County assistant supervisor of elections. "We expected problems, but not to this magnitude."
One of the most critical issues being decided at the polls today is whether a 1998 provision in Miami-Dade County's human rights ordinance prohibiting discrimination based on sexual orientation will be repealed. Gay rights opponents have campaigned for months to repeal the law, gathering enough signatures to land their measure on the primary election ballot. But a recent poll showed that the ballot measure was failing badly, which had gay rights activists confident that they would prevail.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good As Dead, Say Advocates
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics Neither Democrats Nor Republicans Pleased With Virginia's GOP Lt. Gov. Nominee 29 min 59 sec ago
- Entertainment News Bling King: Liberace Car, Piano on View in NYC 46 min 19 sec ago
- Love and Sex Dear Digital Romeo: How Do I Seduce a Guy Through Chat? 1 hour 9 min ago
- Women Free Kate — She's Been Targeted Before, Says Father 1 hour 59 min ago
- Marriage Equality Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says 2 hours 43 min ago
- Women Op-Ed: Case of Lesbian Teen Kaitlyn Hunt Raises Questions About Sexual Double Standard 2 hours 55 min ago
- Music WATCH: Is This the Worst Music Video Ever? 3:00 PM