Florida's new voting machines cause delays
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 10 2002 11:00 PM ET
Polls opened late and machines malfunctioned Tuesday during Florida's first test of new touch-screen voting machines installed since the 2000 election fiasco.
Gubernatorial candidate Janet Reno said she would call on Gov. Jeb Bush to extend primary election voting hours because of the delays, including that at one precinct in Miami in which voting didn't begin until 11:45 a.m.--nearly five hours after polls opened.
Officials estimate that about 500 people left one precinct without getting to vote. Reno herself was delayed at her Miami precinct while election workers struggled to get the new voting machines up and running. "Any time you have a new system, you're going to have problems," said Gisela Salas, Miami-Dade County assistant supervisor of elections. "We expected problems, but not to this magnitude."
One of the most critical issues being decided at the polls today is whether a 1998 provision in Miami-Dade County's human rights ordinance prohibiting discrimination based on sexual orientation will be repealed. Gay rights opponents have campaigned for months to repeal the law, gathering enough signatures to land their measure on the primary election ballot. But a recent poll showed that the ballot measure was failing badly, which had gay rights activists confident that they would prevail.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- The Many Faces of LGBT Family
- WATCH: Teen Uses Bar Mitzvah Speech to Call for Marriage Equality
- Meet the Lesbian Who Won a Comedy Cage Match
- The Financial Effects of DOMA: State Versus Federal Law
- Media Edie Windsor is No. 3 on Time's Person of Year Shortlist 15 min 6 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Immigration Goes Beyond Documentation 7:00 AM
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: The Many Faces of LGBT Family 6:00 AM
- Comedy Meet the Lesbian Who Won a Comedy Cage Match 6:00 AM
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM