Maine city's gay rights law headed for ballot
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 11 2002 12:00 AM ET
The leader of a campaign to overturn a new gay rights law in Westbrook, Maine--located west of Portland--has presented more than enough signatures to the city clerk's office to place the measure on the ballot. The ordinance prohibits discrimination in housing, employment, credit, and access to public accommodations based on a person's sexual orientation.
Paul Volle, director of the Christian Coalition of Maine, had presented 1,539 certified signatures to the office as of Monday. That is 457 more than is needed to force a vote on the issue.
Volle said many residents are opposed to the new law on moral and legal grounds. Others are angry because the council passed the ordinance in July without putting the matter to a vote, he said. "The momentum is on our side," he added. Volle, who lives in Westbrook, is a longtime opponent of gay rights laws and helped force a statewide vote several years ago that overturned a similar state law.
The Reverend Susan Gilpin, who proposed the ordinance last winter, said she and her supporters welcome the challenge. She said she is helping organize an educational campaign to familiarize people with the language of the law and the large number of the political and business leaders who support it. "The fact that it's on the ballot brings the issue to everybody's attention and gives us a chance to address a difficult topic," she said. "It's a great opportunity for us to learn."
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- BREAKING: Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Blood Ban on Gay Men — But There's a Catch
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile 16 min 38 sec ago
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered 29 min 38 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality 50 min 16 sec ago
- Youth BREAKING: Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth 1 hour 9 min ago
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva 1 hour 16 min ago
- Entertainment News Debbie Reynolds: 'We All Knew He Was Gay' 1 hour 41 min ago
- World News Ugandan LGBT Activists Arrested While Protesting Media Censorship 1 hour 55 min ago