Pennsylvania town enacts gay rights law
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 11 2002 11:00 PM ET
New Hope, Pa., on Tuesday night became the first borough in the state to pass a law protecting gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered people from discrimination in housing, employment, and public accommodations.
When the measure was approved 7-0 during the monthly council meeting at New Hope-Solebury High School in Bucks County, approximately 80 people attending broke into applause. It is effective immediately. "We view the passage of this as a celebration," councilwoman Geri Delevich said. "We can now proudly say 'with liberty and justice for all.' "
The law, which generated no public opposition, came after months of advertising and discussion in previous council meetings. Officials said New Hope has never had a problem with gay issues and has become, council members said, a haven for gays. But, council members said, the borough wanted to adopt the law to set standards for other townships and boroughs. Officials from Norristown and Doylestown were in attendance Tuesday night, getting tips for their own potential ordinances.
While such laws are common in larger cities, New Hope is the first "small town" to approve such a law in Pennsylvania, state officials said.
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- 15 Gifts to Keep You Gorgeous
- WATCH: Right-Wing 'Documentary' Tries to Defend 'Ex-Gay' Therapy
- People Photo of the Day: DLB and Tom Daley Share a Moment in Houston 4 min 46 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Australia Re-Bans Same-Sex Marriage 12 min 51 sec ago
- Entertainment News Damien Lewis vs. Ian McKellen: Homeland Actor Apologizes 15 min 26 sec ago
- Politics WATCH: Right-Wing 'Documentary' Tries to Defend 'Ex-Gay' Therapy 23 min 34 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Ellen Will Tell You if She and Portia Are Getting Divorced! 1 hour 42 min ago
- Media Game of Thrones Video Game Announced 1 hour 48 min ago
- World News Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance' 1 hour 54 min ago