NGLTF to expand field operations
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 13 2002 12:00 AM ET
In the wake of the historic defeat of the Christian Coalition's effort to repeal antidiscrimination protections for gays and lesbians in Miami-Dade County, Fla., the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force announced plans Thursday to dramatically expand its field organizing and training initiative.
"We won in Miami because we organized a campaign that actually was designed to win,"
said Lorri L. Jean, NGLTF executive director. "Working in partnership with SAVE Dade, the task force conceived and implemented a field program that focused on identifying and mobilizing gay-friendly voters. That's why we are so excited to announce a historic investment to go with Tuesday's historic victory: a $1 million grant from the Arcus Foundation, specifically to expand our field organizing and training program over the next three years. This unprecedented grant will enable us to more than triple our field staff and implement even more ambitious programs in every community where religious fanatics are attempting to undo our civil rights at the ballot box, and beyond."
The Arcus Foundation is a Michigan-based philanthropic organization that contributes to causes celebrating diversity, dignity, tolerance, and compassion.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Travel Gay Bashing? There's an App for That! 34 min 40 sec ago
- Commentary Gun Advocate Uses Gays To Make His Point 2 hours 31 min ago
- Music EXCLUSIVE: Audra McDonald's 'Some Days' 8:56 AM
- Travel A Handy, Color-Coded Map to Gay Europe 8:43 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 4:40 AM
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 4:00 AM
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM