NGLTF to expand field operations
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 12 2002 11:00 PM ET
In the wake of the historic defeat of the Christian Coalition's effort to repeal antidiscrimination protections for gays and lesbians in Miami-Dade County, Fla., the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force announced plans Thursday to dramatically expand its field organizing and training initiative.
"We won in Miami because we organized a campaign that actually was designed to win,"
said Lorri L. Jean, NGLTF executive director. "Working in partnership with SAVE Dade, the task force conceived and implemented a field program that focused on identifying and mobilizing gay-friendly voters. That's why we are so excited to announce a historic investment to go with Tuesday's historic victory: a $1 million grant from the Arcus Foundation, specifically to expand our field organizing and training program over the next three years. This unprecedented grant will enable us to more than triple our field staff and implement even more ambitious programs in every community where religious fanatics are attempting to undo our civil rights at the ballot box, and beyond."
The Arcus Foundation is a Michigan-based philanthropic organization that contributes to causes celebrating diversity, dignity, tolerance, and compassion.
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! 56 min 13 sec ago
- Coming Out WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video 1 hour 19 min ago
- People Photo of the Day: DLB and Tom Daley Share a Moment in Houston 1 hour 26 min ago
- Marriage Equality Australia Re-Bans Same-Sex Marriage 1 hour 34 min ago
- Entertainment News Damien Lewis vs. Ian McKellen: Homeland Actor Apologizes 1 hour 37 min ago
- Politics WATCH: Right-Wing 'Documentary' Tries to Defend 'Ex-Gay' Therapy 1 hour 45 min ago
- Internet Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay 2 hours 32 min ago