Boston official calls on university to reinstate gay group
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 13 2002 11:00 PM ET
Boston city councillor Michael Ross on Thursday called for Boston University chancellor John Silber to reinstate the gay-straight alliance that Silber recently abolished at Boston Academy, according to The Boston Globe. Boston Academy is a prestigious secondary school affiliated with the university.
In a column published Thursday in the university's independent student newspaper, The Daily Free Press. Ross wrote that Silber's reasons for banishing the program stem "from a strange fascination with imposing his conservative values on others."
Last week Silber told the headmaster of Boston Academy to disband the two-year-old support group for lesbian and gay students because he sees the GSA as encouraging underage sex.
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics December 08 2013 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License December 08 2013 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 December 08 2013 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' December 08 2013 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member December 08 2013 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights December 08 2013 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM