Boston official calls on university to reinstate gay group
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 14 2002 12:00 AM ET
Boston city councillor Michael Ross on Thursday called for Boston University chancellor John Silber to reinstate the gay-straight alliance that Silber recently abolished at Boston Academy, according to The Boston Globe. Boston Academy is a prestigious secondary school affiliated with the university.
In a column published Thursday in the university's independent student newspaper, The Daily Free Press. Ross wrote that Silber's reasons for banishing the program stem "from a strange fascination with imposing his conservative values on others."
Last week Silber told the headmaster of Boston Academy to disband the two-year-old support group for lesbian and gay students because he sees the GSA as encouraging underage sex.
- Hillary Clinton's Rainbow Logo Leads Politicians Proclaiming 'Love Can't Wait'
- PHOTOS: The Scene at the Supreme Court As Marriage Equality is Considered
- See Where the Nation Stands On Marriage Equality — In One Graphic
- Op-ed: Hosting Ted Cruz Isn't Just Offensive to LGBT People
- Meet the People Waiting in Line for History
- WATCH: Ireland's New Marriage Equality Ad Will Give You Goosebumps