Boston official calls on university to reinstate gay group
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 14 2002 12:00 AM ET
Boston city councillor Michael Ross on Thursday called for Boston University chancellor John Silber to reinstate the gay-straight alliance that Silber recently abolished at Boston Academy, according to The Boston Globe. Boston Academy is a prestigious secondary school affiliated with the university.
In a column published Thursday in the university's independent student newspaper, The Daily Free Press. Ross wrote that Silber's reasons for banishing the program stem "from a strange fascination with imposing his conservative values on others."
Last week Silber told the headmaster of Boston Academy to disband the two-year-old support group for lesbian and gay students because he sees the GSA as encouraging underage sex.
- #TBT: Hollywood Hunks Laid Bare: 1920s-1930s
- Thousands Rally in S.C. to 'Stand With God' Against Marriage Equality
- 60 Music Videos That Raised LGBT Visibility
- PHOTOS: Equality Advocates Picket Antigay Kentucky Clerk
- Lesbian Feminist Cathy Brennan Sues AfterEllen for Defamation
- WATCH: Is CNN Coverage of Virginia Gunman Homophobic?