Boston official calls on university to reinstate gay group
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 14 2002 12:00 AM ET
Boston city councillor Michael Ross on Thursday called for Boston University chancellor John Silber to reinstate the gay-straight alliance that Silber recently abolished at Boston Academy, according to The Boston Globe. Boston Academy is a prestigious secondary school affiliated with the university.
In a column published Thursday in the university's independent student newspaper, The Daily Free Press. Ross wrote that Silber's reasons for banishing the program stem "from a strange fascination with imposing his conservative values on others."
Last week Silber told the headmaster of Boston Academy to disband the two-year-old support group for lesbian and gay students because he sees the GSA as encouraging underage sex.
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books March 09 2014 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah March 09 2014 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions March 09 2014 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open March 09 2014 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play March 09 2014 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' March 09 2014 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM