Boston official calls on university to reinstate gay group
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 13 2002 11:00 PM ET
Boston city councillor Michael Ross on Thursday called for Boston University chancellor John Silber to reinstate the gay-straight alliance that Silber recently abolished at Boston Academy, according to The Boston Globe. Boston Academy is a prestigious secondary school affiliated with the university.
In a column published Thursday in the university's independent student newspaper, The Daily Free Press. Ross wrote that Silber's reasons for banishing the program stem "from a strange fascination with imposing his conservative values on others."
Last week Silber told the headmaster of Boston Academy to disband the two-year-old support group for lesbian and gay students because he sees the GSA as encouraging underage sex.
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- Gay Comic Publisher Undaunted by Apple's iBook Censorship
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View