Connecticut man arrested in Labor Day gay bashing
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 17 2002 12:00 AM ET
Police in Shelton, Conn., have arrested a homeowner who hosted a Labor Day picnic at which a gay man was severely beaten.
George Hamilton, 42, turned himself in to police Friday after learning that there was a warrant for his arrest. He is charged with first-degree assault and first-degree intimidation based on bigotry or bias. Hamilton posted $150,000 bond and is scheduled to answer the charges September 30 in Derby superior court.
Stratford resident Bryan Wendland, 25, was arrested on the same charges. Wendland was held in lieu of $175,000 bail. His bond was higher because he is a flight risk, said Det. Sgt. Michael Madden. He is scheduled to be arraigned Monday in Derby superior court.
"Mr. Hamilton knew the victim was openly gay, and after a long day at the party he made sexually oriented comments as he assaulted him," Madden said, adding that Wendland joined in the attack.
The victim said three men beat him. More arrests are pending, Madden said, possibly including people who attended the party and later made false statements. Police did not identify the victim, who was treated at Yale-New Haven Hospital for wounds from punches and kicks to his face and ribs.
- Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- R&B Singer Monifah Carter Talks About Her Journey as a Lesbian in the Music Industry
- PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
- Op-ed: How Animated Shows Like Futurama Can Unite Us All
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News Muscle Worship: Meet the Men of L.A.'s New Gay Strip Club 1 hour 48 min ago
- Religion Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other 7:56 PM
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem 7:20 PM
- Crime Police Seek Suspects Who Vandalized Chick-fil-A With Antigay Slurs 7:18 PM
- Women Martina Navratilova, Billie Jean King Among First Inductees to Gay and Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame 6:51 PM
- Entertainment News Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Jail 6:20 PM
- Politicians President Obama Adresses LGBT Rights in Berlin Speech 4:59 PM