Disinvited priest leads gay Mass
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 17 2002 12:00 AM ET
Days after being dropped from Utica, N.Y.'s September 11 memorial event because of his advocacy of gay rights, the Reverend Fred Daley on Sunday led Utica's first Mass for gays, lesbians, bisexuals, and transgendered people. Local city leaders and clergy were among more than 400 people attending the Mass.
Daley, who wore a rainbow-color stole over white robes, was disinvited as the main speaker at last week's 9/11 memorial for the victims of the terrorist attacks when the assistant fire chief, Russel Brooks, supported by Utica mayor Timothy Julian, threatened to withdraw from participating in the event if Daley didn't step aside. Daley's participation would have brought unwanted controversy to the event, they said.
Sunday's Mass attracted protesters on both sides of the issue, including members of a local antiabortion group. "We oppose evil in every quarter," protester Nicholas Parisi told The [Utica] Observer-Dispatch. Two young men carried signs that read "Catholicism preaches intolerance" and "The Bible is just a book."
Inside the church, rainbow ribbons flanked the altar, which was draped with a rainbow flag. "We can walk out of this building and commit ourselves to speak the truth," Daley said. "If we do that, there will be some day that our public officials will maybe even hang the rainbow flag."
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women WATCH: Portia de Rossi Spills Ellen's Most Annoying Habit to Jennifer Aniston 10 min 27 sec ago
- Living Well Why Shacking Up Is Good For Your Health 16 min 30 sec ago
- Politics Schumer: The Reason We Excluded Gays Offers 'Little Comfort' 1 hour 12 min ago
- World News PHOTOS: Startling Response to Right-Winger's Suicide in Notre Dame 1 hour 42 min ago
- Crime Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence? 2 hours 34 min ago
- Film New Man Of Steel and Wolverine Trailers Debut 9:03 AM
- Travel Top 10 Ways to Score and Upgrade on Your Next Flight 8:27 AM