Jerry Falwell gets gay neighbors
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 17 2002 12:00 AM ET
Openly gay reverend Mel White and his partner, Gary Nixon, announced that they are renting a home across the street from the Reverend Jerry Falwell's church to correct what they see as misinformation spread by the pastor and show that gay people can lead Christian lives.
"We just want Lynchburg to see us--an old gay couple--and realize that we're as boring as they are," said White, 62, who moved into the cottage Tuesday with Nixon, 52. White, a minister with the Metropolitan Community Church in Los Angeles, ghostwrote Falwell's autobiography--before acknowledging his homosexuality--and has known Falwell for more than 15 years.
White said he started planning a trip to Lynchburg after Falwell blamed the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks in part on gays. "It broke our hearts to see what he was doing," White said.
- Trixie Mattel on Drag Race Elimination: 'It Was Rude'
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- 11 Bad Habits Killing LGBT People
- Texas Successfully Blocks New Federal Rights for Gay Couples
- Op-ed: Indiana's 'Turn Away Gays' Bill Is a Segregation-Era Throwback
- Audra McDonald Rips Indiana Governor Over Law