Jerry Falwell gets gay neighbors
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 16 2002 11:00 PM ET
Openly gay reverend Mel White and his partner, Gary Nixon, announced that they are renting a home across the street from the Reverend Jerry Falwell's church to correct what they see as misinformation spread by the pastor and show that gay people can lead Christian lives.
"We just want Lynchburg to see us--an old gay couple--and realize that we're as boring as they are," said White, 62, who moved into the cottage Tuesday with Nixon, 52. White, a minister with the Metropolitan Community Church in Los Angeles, ghostwrote Falwell's autobiography--before acknowledging his homosexuality--and has known Falwell for more than 15 years.
White said he started planning a trip to Lynchburg after Falwell blamed the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks in part on gays. "It broke our hearts to see what he was doing," White said.
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- Gay Comic Publisher Undaunted by Apple's iBook Censorship
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View