Jerry Falwell gets gay neighbors
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 17 2002 12:00 AM ET
Openly gay reverend Mel White and his partner, Gary Nixon, announced that they are renting a home across the street from the Reverend Jerry Falwell's church to correct what they see as misinformation spread by the pastor and show that gay people can lead Christian lives.
"We just want Lynchburg to see us--an old gay couple--and realize that we're as boring as they are," said White, 62, who moved into the cottage Tuesday with Nixon, 52. White, a minister with the Metropolitan Community Church in Los Angeles, ghostwrote Falwell's autobiography--before acknowledging his homosexuality--and has known Falwell for more than 15 years.
White said he started planning a trip to Lynchburg after Falwell blamed the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks in part on gays. "It broke our hearts to see what he was doing," White said.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good as Dead, Say Advocates
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Marriage Equality Recalls of Pro-Marriage Equality Lawmakers Quashed in Minnesota 1 hour 42 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout 2 hours 38 min ago
- Current Issue A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World 4:00 AM
- Current Issue A Home of Our Own 4:00 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT 4:00 AM
- World News Marriage Equality Appeal Headed to Brazil's Supreme Court 1:06 AM
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader May 21 2013 10:04 PM