Jerry Falwell gets gay neighbors
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 16 2002 11:00 PM ET
Openly gay reverend Mel White and his partner, Gary Nixon, announced that they are renting a home across the street from the Reverend Jerry Falwell's church to correct what they see as misinformation spread by the pastor and show that gay people can lead Christian lives.
"We just want Lynchburg to see us--an old gay couple--and realize that we're as boring as they are," said White, 62, who moved into the cottage Tuesday with Nixon, 52. White, a minister with the Metropolitan Community Church in Los Angeles, ghostwrote Falwell's autobiography--before acknowledging his homosexuality--and has known Falwell for more than 15 years.
White said he started planning a trip to Lynchburg after Falwell blamed the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks in part on gays. "It broke our hearts to see what he was doing," White said.
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Lady Gaga Congratulates Tom Daley, Urges Boycott of Sochi Olympics
- Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage 25 min 49 sec ago
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual 35 min 6 sec ago
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? 1 hour 39 min ago
- Election Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary 2 hours 12 min ago
- Women WATCH: Santana Lopez as the Best Bad Santa Ever! 2 hours 32 min ago
- Religion WATCH: Robertson Prays for Gays 'Recruited' By Abuse 4:41 PM
- Women WATCH: Idina Menzel's Female Empowerment Anthem from Frozen 4:07 PM