Nation's largest archdiocese to cut gay outreach
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 20 2002 12:00 AM ET
The Roman Catholic archdiocese of Los Angeles, trying to eliminate a $4.3 million deficit, will cut at least 60 jobs in the archdiocese's headquarters, church officials confirmed Thursday. Among the programs to be slashed include outreach ministries to gays and lesbians.
The announcement comes just after the archdiocese's financial council refused to approve a proposed $600 million budget for 2003 and two weeks after the opening of the $189 million Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels in downtown Los Angeles.
Critics of the cathedral have said for years that the cost of the building would harm other programs in the archdiocese. But Cardinal Roger Mahoney said the fiscal woes have nothing to do with the cathedral project. The deficit is due to losses from investments made in the stock market, Mahoney said. "I feel very, very saddened for people who are not going to be on the payroll," he said. "We're trying to handle it as gently as we can."
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash
- Robbie Rogers Becomes First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- Politics | Advocate.com
- The 'Undetectable' Paradox
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television Jason Collins Calls It a 'Slam-Dunk!' and More Fake Gay Reviews for Behind the Candelabra May 25 2013 6:30 PM
- Food and Drink Want to Eat a Hot Dog Named After Harvey Fierstein? May 25 2013 5:53 PM
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash May 25 2013 3:02 PM
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings May 25 2013 1:56 PM
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Victim's Parents Speak May 25 2013 1:21 PM
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 May 25 2013 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' May 25 2013 12:35 PM