Nation's largest archdiocese to cut gay outreach
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 20 2002 12:00 AM ET
The Roman Catholic archdiocese of Los Angeles, trying to eliminate a $4.3 million deficit, will cut at least 60 jobs in the archdiocese's headquarters, church officials confirmed Thursday. Among the programs to be slashed include outreach ministries to gays and lesbians.
The announcement comes just after the archdiocese's financial council refused to approve a proposed $600 million budget for 2003 and two weeks after the opening of the $189 million Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels in downtown Los Angeles.
Critics of the cathedral have said for years that the cost of the building would harm other programs in the archdiocese. But Cardinal Roger Mahoney said the fiscal woes have nothing to do with the cathedral project. The deficit is due to losses from investments made in the stock market, Mahoney said. "I feel very, very saddened for people who are not going to be on the payroll," he said. "We're trying to handle it as gently as we can."
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Nintendo Will 'Fix' Bug That Allows Same-Sex Couples to Marry in Video Game
- Same-Sex Kiss in Comic Inspired by Real-World Controversy
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 1 hour 27 min ago
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 2 hours 7 min ago
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM