Congresswoman urges action on transgender murders
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 21 2002 12:00 AM ET
Washington, D.C., congresswoman Eleanor Holmes Norton on Thursday wrote to D.C. police chief Charles Ramsey to ask him to officially classify the killings of two transgendered teens as hate crimes and to make "a special effort to bring the perpetrators to justice."
Eighteen-year-old Ukea Davis and 19-year-old Stephanie Thomas were the victims of execution-style shootings in southeast Washington on August 12; police described the murders as unusually violent. In her letter Norton said, "These killings were so shocking that I believe that the point urgently needs to be made that the city will not tolerate the murder of people because of their sexual orientation and will use every available provision of law to prosecute such crimes."
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 43 min 48 sec ago
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! March 10 2014 6:22 PM