Israeli parliament to get first gay member
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 26 2002 11:00 PM ET
The Israeli Knesset will swear in its first gay member when it reconvenes next month, the Ha'aretz Daily reports. Uzi Even, a chemistry professor and member of the Meretz Party, will succeed current Knesset member Amnon Rubinstein, 70, who is retiring after 25 years in the parliament. "My joining the Knesset would be a very important step for every gay," Even said. "The message is you no longer have to be ashamed. You can even be elected to the Knesset."
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- Freddy Krave Is His Own Best Model
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View