Nevada rally targets anti-gay marriage measure
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 08 2002 12:00 AM ET
An anti-gay marriage measure on Nevada's November ballot was branded as "discriminatory" and "hateful" by opponents at a candlelight vigil Saturday night. About 150 people, some holding placards reading "Support All Families--Vote No on 2," gathered on the steps of the Washoe County Courthouse in Reno to urge defeat of Question 2. The one-hour event was sponsored by the gay political group Stonewall Democrats of Northern Nevada.
Speakers accused proponents of stirring hatred against gays and lesbians and of resorting to distortions to try to sell Question 2. They said the real purpose of Question 2 is not to protect marriage but to deny gays and lesbians the same rights enjoyed by everyone else. They also noted that state law already defines marriage as between only a man and woman and that Question 2's defeat would not change that.
"What Question 2 is really about is homophobic bigotry, plain and simple," said Rabbi Myra Soifer of Reno's Temple Sinai. "If it passes, the next thing we'll see are efforts to discriminate against gays in other areas."
The measure, which defines marriage as only between a man and woman, was passed by voters in 2000 with 70% in favor; it must be passed again this year in order for the Nevada constitution to be amended.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student
- Op-ed: Democrats Throw Queers Under the Bus—Again
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
- Robbie Rogers Becomes First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television Jason Collins Calls It a 'Slam-Dunk!' and More Fake Gay Reviews for Behind the Candelabra 6:30 PM
- Food and Drink Want to Eat a Hot Dog Named After Harvey Fierstein? 5:53 PM
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash 3:02 PM
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings 1:56 PM
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Victim's Parents Speak 1:21 PM
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' 12:35 PM