Oklahoma City, gay rights group reach settlement
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 09 2002 11:00 PM ET
Oklahoma City leaders and a gay rights group have approved a settlement over the display of banners on utility and city poles. The Oklahoma City council on Tuesday voted 8-1 to abide by a federal judge's ruling last month that declared part of the city's banner ordinance unconstitutional. Under the agreement, the city will pay "nominal damages" of $3, plus attorneys' fees. The city also must give the Cimarron Alliance permission to display banners for its pride parade and delay consideration of changing or repealing the ordinance until January.
For Cimarron Alliance, the case was "never about damages," said Mark Henricksen, a volunteer American Civil Liberties Union attorney representing the group. "It was about vindicating their free speech rights." Henricksen said a court will determine the amount of attorneys' fees paid. The council met in a lengthy closed meeting to discuss the settlement and then, without debate, voted to accept it.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics December 10 2013 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes December 10 2013 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn December 10 2013 5:38 PM