Michigan gubernatorial candidates spar over marriage
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 10 2002 11:00 PM ET
Republican candidate for Michigan governor Dick Posthumus is accusing his Democratic opponent of reversing her position on whether to support marriage rights for gay men and lesbians. But apparently Posthumus doesn't understand the difference between civil unions and marriage.
Posthumus said Democrat Jennifer Granholm, speaking after the pair's first televised debate, said she doesn't support a law that would allow gay men and lesbians to marry. But in April, Posthumus said, Granholm told an interviewer for Between the Lines, Michigan's largest gay newspaper, "I am supportive of domestic partnerships and civil unions." Granholm, who has led Posthumus in recent polls, has been endorsed by several groups advocating gay rights. Posthumus opposes gay civil unions. Michigan is one of 36 states that have laws that prohibit recognizing marriages between two people of the same sex.
Granholm said she was truthful when she said she does not back gay marriage, because "marriage can only be between a man and a woman." But she does support civil unions and domestic partnerships, campaign spokesman Chris De Witt said Wednesday. Granholm criticized Posthumus for using the issue to try to drive a wedge into the Michigan electorate. "This attack is another 3-D strategy by the Posthumus campaign to distort, distract, and divide," she said.
Posthumus said he's simply trying to point out another issue on which Granholm "has said one thing to the special interests behind closed doors and another thing to the voters."
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- The Many Faces of LGBT Family
- WATCH: Teen Uses Bar Mitzvah Speech to Call for Marriage Equality
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Commentary Op-ed: Immigration Goes Beyond Documentation 1 hour 33 min ago
- Day in LGBT America The Many Faces of LGBT Family 2 hours 34 min ago
- Comedy Meet the Lesbian Who Won a Comedy Cage Match 2 hours 34 min ago
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM