Sweden to allow gay adoption
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 24 2002 11:00 PM ET
Gay couples in Sweden will be allowed to legally adopt children beginning February 1, the justice ministry announced Thursday, according to a report by Agence France-Presse. The country's parliament passed a bill in June allowing the adoptions, but until Thursday the justice ministry had not said when the new law would go into effect. Under the new law gay couples who have entered into a legal partnership will be able to apply to adopt a child. The law also allows for one partner to adopt the biological child of the other partner.
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- Freddy Krave Is His Own Best Model
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View