Carey retires as archbishop of Canterbury
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 01 2002 12:00 AM ET
Archbishop of Canterbury George Carey officially retired Thursday as spiritual head of the approximately 70 million Anglicans worldwide. Carey has been seen as a moderate leader responsible for overseeing the controversial introduction of women priests in the Church of England. His successor, Rowan Williams, who will begin his post in December, will probably prove to be a more controversial archbishop, given his liberal stance on gay clergy.
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View
- Freddy Krave Is His Own Best Model
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment