Rosie O'Donnell's gay brother elected to N.Y. assembly
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 07 2002 12:00 AM ET
Daniel O'Donnell, the gay brother of out former talk-show host Rosie O'Donnell, easily won a four-way race Tuesday for a New York State assembly seat representing Manhattan's upper west side. The 41-year-old O'Donnell, a tenants' rights lawyer, became the assembly's first openly gay member and the state's third openly gay legislator. O'Donnell said the win fulfills a 33-year goal. He said he decided at age 8, when the murder of Robert F. Kennedy resulted in the cancellation of his morning cartoons and made his mother cry, that he wanted to be a politician. "This is something I've wanted to do my entire life," O'Donnell said.
O'Donnell, the second of five siblings, remembers discussing politics during family dinners while growing up in Commack, N.Y., on Long Island. "My mother was pro-choice in 1970, when it was not popular for an Irish Catholic to be pro-choice," he said. He became a public defender after graduating from City University of New York Law School in 1987, as preparation for an eventual career in politics. "Becoming an elected official is a natural extension," he said.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Sports WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers 1 hour 21 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black 2 hours 25 min ago
- Bisexual Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too 5:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM