Morehouse president addresses homophobia
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 21 2002 1:00 AM ET
More than two weeks after a Morehouse College student was beaten over the head with a baseball bat in an apparent antigay attack, the president of the Atlanta college addressed the topic of homophobia, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports. "As president, I'm committed to fostering an environment where no acts of violence--regardless of its motivation--will be tolerated," Walter Massey told a crowd of about 300 students on Tuesday. "And I'm also committed to dealing honestly and openly with issues of intolerance and diversity, including homophobia."
Massey suggested that the school tackle the issue by focusing on anger management, an approach some students say is not adequate enough. "The problem, to me, isn't anger management," said sophomore Clayton Knowles, 19. "The homophobia leads to the anger, and because he's homophobic, the guy got angry and grabbed a bat."
Morehouse junior Gregory Love suffered a fractured skull when he was beaten with a bat after allegedly looking at sophomore Aaron Price in a dormitory shower, according to police. Price told police that he interpreted Love's glance as an unwanted sexual advance. Love, however, said he didn't have his glasses on and mistook Price for his roommate.
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- WATCH: Chelsea Handler Skewers Piers Morgan as a 'Terrible Interviewer'
- WATCH: 20 Strangers Kiss for the First Time
- S.C. House Approves Budget Cuts to Colleges With LGBT Curricula
- 'Tranny Awards' Changes Its Name, Not Its Nature
- Television First Look: OITNB Season 2 24 min 41 sec ago
- Transgender 'Tranny Awards' Changes Its Name, Not Its Nature 54 min 54 sec ago
- Love and Sex WATCH: 20 Strangers Kiss for the First Time 57 min 28 sec ago
- Women Why You Need to See Demi Lovato's Neon Lights Tour STAT 1 hour 3 min ago
- Marriage Equality Young Repubs Express Big Support for Marriage Equality 1 hour 23 min ago
- Television Teen Wolf Adds Gay Character, Expands Lacrosse Team 1 hour 27 min ago
- Women 5 Reasons to Watch CW's Arrow and 'Quiver!' 1 hour 27 min ago