Morehouse president addresses homophobia
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 21 2002 1:00 AM ET
More than two weeks after a Morehouse College student was beaten over the head with a baseball bat in an apparent antigay attack, the president of the Atlanta college addressed the topic of homophobia, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports. "As president, I'm committed to fostering an environment where no acts of violence--regardless of its motivation--will be tolerated," Walter Massey told a crowd of about 300 students on Tuesday. "And I'm also committed to dealing honestly and openly with issues of intolerance and diversity, including homophobia."
Massey suggested that the school tackle the issue by focusing on anger management, an approach some students say is not adequate enough. "The problem, to me, isn't anger management," said sophomore Clayton Knowles, 19. "The homophobia leads to the anger, and because he's homophobic, the guy got angry and grabbed a bat."
Morehouse junior Gregory Love suffered a fractured skull when he was beaten with a bat after allegedly looking at sophomore Aaron Price in a dormitory shower, according to police. Price told police that he interpreted Love's glance as an unwanted sexual advance. Love, however, said he didn't have his glasses on and mistook Price for his roommate.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Op-ed: Uganda's Top Tabloid Isn't News, It's a Hit List
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference March 11 2014 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families March 11 2014 6:45 PM
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia March 11 2014 6:27 PM
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis March 11 2014 6:25 PM
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 March 11 2014 5:55 PM