Archbishop of Canterbury says he won't press gay priest issue
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 27 2002 1:00 AM ET
The archbishop of Canterbury said in an interview broadcast Sunday that he did not intend to push the church into discussing the issue of gay priests.
The Most Reverend Rowan Williams, who became leader of the Church of England and the Anglican Communion earlier this month, has said recently he can "see a case" for acknowledging same-sex relationships and has admitted ordaining a priest he knew was living in a gay partnership. But when asked Sunday by the British Broadcasting Corp. whether gay rights should be acknowledged by the Church of England, he answered: "It's certainly no part of my program to change this or even to push it as a matter of discussion. But there it is on the table: We have to think about it. My hope is simply that we think about it without too much rancor, too much prejudice, or too much fear."
The issue was prominent at the 1998 Lambeth Conference, a gathering of Anglican bishops from around the world. As archbishop of Canterbury, Williams has said he would enforce a Lambeth resolution condemning gay relationships as "incompatible with Scripture" and opposing the blessing of same-sex unions and sex outside of marriage.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
- The South's Longer Wait for Equality
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics WATCH: Obama's Morehouse Commencement Speech Name-Checks Gay Rights 2 hours 40 min ago
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay 6:48 PM
- Women Obama to Award Presidential Medal of Freedom to Sally Ride 6:01 PM
- Pride Turn It Way Up with Pride Beats 2013 6:00 PM