Archbishop of Canterbury says he won't press gay priest issue
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 27 2002 1:00 AM ET
The archbishop of Canterbury said in an interview broadcast Sunday that he did not intend to push the church into discussing the issue of gay priests.
The Most Reverend Rowan Williams, who became leader of the Church of England and the Anglican Communion earlier this month, has said recently he can "see a case" for acknowledging same-sex relationships and has admitted ordaining a priest he knew was living in a gay partnership. But when asked Sunday by the British Broadcasting Corp. whether gay rights should be acknowledged by the Church of England, he answered: "It's certainly no part of my program to change this or even to push it as a matter of discussion. But there it is on the table: We have to think about it. My hope is simply that we think about it without too much rancor, too much prejudice, or too much fear."
The issue was prominent at the 1998 Lambeth Conference, a gathering of Anglican bishops from around the world. As archbishop of Canterbury, Williams has said he would enforce a Lambeth resolution condemning gay relationships as "incompatible with Scripture" and opposing the blessing of same-sex unions and sex outside of marriage.
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Google's International Women's Day Doodle Includes Trans Women
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books March 09 2014 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah March 09 2014 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions March 09 2014 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open March 09 2014 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play March 09 2014 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' March 09 2014 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM