Sirius Satellite Radio set to launch gay channel
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 09 2003 1:00 AM ET
Sirius Satellite Radio announced Wednesday at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas that it is developing a 24-hour radio channel explicitly directed at the nation's gay population, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
No name has been determined for the gay channel, which Sirius says will launch in about 90 days. So far, the only host aboard is John McMullen, who will move from his current post as a left-wing political talk show host for Sirius. McMullen is a founder of GAYBC Radio Network, a defunct Internet radio company that targeted gays and lesbians.
"This is a big idea. Nobody has done this," said Larry Rebich, vice president of programming and marketing development at Sirius. "It's estimated that there's 20 million gay people in the United States, and they're not served well on radio."
Sirius charges $12.95 per month for 100 radio channels beamed to car stereos via satellite, while its rival XM provides a similar service for $9.99 per month. Sirius has more commercial-free channels, though the gay channel is expected to carry ads.
Rebich said high-profile gays and lesbians from film, TV, and music are expected to participate. "We'll be talking to a broad range of celebrities," he said. "Those who don't end up as hosts, I'm sure, will be guests."
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference March 11 2014 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families March 11 2014 6:45 PM
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia March 11 2014 6:27 PM
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis March 11 2014 6:25 PM
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 March 11 2014 5:55 PM