Survey: Gay adults would pay more for smoke-free bars
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 15 2003 1:00 AM ET
When asked in a recent survey whether they would prefer smoke-free bars and clubs, 59% of adults nationwide, including those who are gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered, said they preferred a smoke-free environment. According to these latest survey results, released by Witeck-Combs Communications and Harris Interactive, when asked if they would be willing to pay an additional cover charge for their favorite bar or club to be smoke-free, 70% of gay respondents who indicated that they prefer smoke-free bars and clubs said they would be willing to pay more for that environment. In contrast, only 52% of heterosexual respondents who indicated the same preference said they would be willing to pay an additional cover charge.
"The good news is, lesbians and gays seem willing to put their money where their mouths are when it comes to eliminating smoke in bars and clubs not yet covered by smoke-free laws," said Colleen Dermody, vice president of Witeck-Combs Communications. "The bad news is that 34% of gays are still smoking cigarettes despite 2001 survey results which showed 98% of gay smokers and tobacco chewers understand that smoking increases their risk of lung cancer and heart disease. They know smoking is unhealthy, but, according to these latest results, a third of them continue to smoke."
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying?
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
- Op-ed: Democrats Throw Queers Under the Bus—Again
- The 'Undetectable' Paradox
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television Jason Collins Calls It a 'Slam-Dunk!' and More Fake Gay Reviews for Behind the Candelabra May 25 2013 6:30 PM
- Food and Drink Want to Eat a Hot Dog Named After Harvey Fierstein? May 25 2013 5:53 PM
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash May 25 2013 3:02 PM
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings May 25 2013 1:56 PM
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Victim's Parents Speak May 25 2013 1:21 PM
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 May 25 2013 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' May 25 2013 12:35 PM