Tom Cruise wins gay lawsuit
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 17 2003 12:00 AM ET
Tom Cruise won a $10 million defamation judgment against a porn actor who was accusing of telling the French magazine Actustar that he had had a gay affair with the actor, Cruise's attorney said. Chad Slater, whose stage name was Kyle Bradford, had said previously that he'd never met Cruise and defaulted on the $100 million lawsuit in August 2001. "I hope by defaulting, Mr. Cruise will finally get what he is after, and I can finally start to put my life back in order,'' Slater said in a statement at the time.
The default motion did not indicate that Slater had admitted wrongdoing but was an acknowledgment that he did not have the money to fight the lawsuit and would not contest it. Slater, who has made a series of porn films and gay-themed wrestling videos, could not be located for comment Wednesday. The $10 million judgment was decided in late December, according to Ricardo Cestero, an attorney for Cruise.
"We don't have any idea whether he'll ever have means to pay, but we've obtained the judgment, which, hopefully, will make it clear that demeaning Mr. Cruise will not be a successful endeavor,'' Cestero said Wednesday. Cruise plans to donate to charity any money he receives from the judgment, Cestero added.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action 2 min 40 sec ago
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? 47 min 36 sec ago
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season 48 min 29 sec ago
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity 1 hour 4 min ago
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs 4:36 PM
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth 3:37 PM