Tom Cruise wins gay lawsuit
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 17 2003 1:00 AM ET
Tom Cruise won a $10 million defamation judgment against a porn actor who was accusing of telling the French magazine Actustar that he had had a gay affair with the actor, Cruise's attorney said. Chad Slater, whose stage name was Kyle Bradford, had said previously that he'd never met Cruise and defaulted on the $100 million lawsuit in August 2001. "I hope by defaulting, Mr. Cruise will finally get what he is after, and I can finally start to put my life back in order,'' Slater said in a statement at the time.
The default motion did not indicate that Slater had admitted wrongdoing but was an acknowledgment that he did not have the money to fight the lawsuit and would not contest it. Slater, who has made a series of porn films and gay-themed wrestling videos, could not be located for comment Wednesday. The $10 million judgment was decided in late December, according to Ricardo Cestero, an attorney for Cruise.
"We don't have any idea whether he'll ever have means to pay, but we've obtained the judgment, which, hopefully, will make it clear that demeaning Mr. Cruise will not be a successful endeavor,'' Cestero said Wednesday. Cruise plans to donate to charity any money he receives from the judgment, Cestero added.
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW
- Current Issue Number Crunch: A Church in Crisis 24 min 56 sec ago
- Current Issue The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd 1 hour 24 min ago
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books March 09 2014 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah March 09 2014 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions March 09 2014 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open March 09 2014 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play March 09 2014 1:00 PM