One of four alleged killers of transgendered teen pleads guilty
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 25 2003 1:00 AM ET
One of four young men charged with the October slaying of transgendered teen Eddie "Gwen" Araujo pleaded guilty to voluntary manslaughter Monday and agreed to testify against his friends. Jaron Chase Nabors, 19, will get 11 years in prison under the agreement reached with prosecutors. He had faced a murder charge. His plea came during a preliminary hearing into whether Nabors and the other three should stand trial for the killing.
Jose Antonio Merel, 23; Michael William Magidson, 22; and Jason Michael Cazares, 22, stand charged with murder in the beating and strangulation death of Araujo at Merel's house in the Northern California town of Newark. About two weeks after the slaying, police say, Nabors led them to Araujo's body in a shallow grave in the Sierra foothills about 150 miles east of Newark. Prosecutors say the 17-year-old Araujo was killed after Nabors and his three friends determined that the woman they had known as Lida was biologically male.
"By entering a plea of guilty today, you are in fact convicting yourself," said superior court judge Kenneth Mark Burr. "You are being a witness against yourself. Do you understand that?"
"Yes, your honor," said Nabors, who appeared pale and composed and said little throughout the brief hearing. The plea came on what would have been Araujo's 18th birthday.
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books March 09 2014 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah March 09 2014 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions March 09 2014 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open March 09 2014 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play March 09 2014 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' March 09 2014 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM