Iowa considers ban on gay adoption
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 27 2003 1:00 AM ET
A bill that would bar gays and lesbians in Iowa from adopting children or setting up foster care homes was introduced into the state senate human resources committee Tuesday for discussion, according to the Iowa City Press-Citizen.
The bill is sponsored by Sen. Kenneth Veenstra (R-Orange City), chairman of the committee. Veenstra said he researched the subject using the Washington D.C.-based conservative political lobbying organization Family Research Council as a resource.
"Over the past several decades I've observed cultural changes in our state that in the last few years have created a slippery slope that is negative, not positive," Veenstra said. "The majority of evidence-based research says this is not a good environment to have a good impact on children. There is a disproportionate amount of instability in same-sex relationships and a disproportionate amount of susceptibility to disease. That instability produces a disproportionate amount of domestic violence and a disproportionate amount of child abuse."
"[Veenstra] is a very, very, very conservative person," Sen. Robert Dvorsky (D-Coralville) said. "He really believes this is a good thing to do. I doubt the bill would have much support. It may pass committee, but I don't think it will be brought up on the floor. We're trying to find good foster homes, and it's difficult to do this. I don't know why we would restrict ourselves. If you find good candidates--whoever they are--that would take good care of the kids, that's who you should go with."
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Ushering in a New Year Money Minute 33 min 46 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment Opera Director Gerard Mortier Dies at 70 48 min 9 sec ago
- Television MTV's Awkward Adds 2 New Gay Characters 1 hour 8 min ago
- Print Issue The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender 6:01 AM
- Current Issue Editor’s Letter: April/May Issue 5:01 AM
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 4:00 AM
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM