Iowa considers ban on gay adoption
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 27 2003 12:00 AM ET
A bill that would bar gays and lesbians in Iowa from adopting children or setting up foster care homes was introduced into the state senate human resources committee Tuesday for discussion, according to the Iowa City Press-Citizen.
The bill is sponsored by Sen. Kenneth Veenstra (R-Orange City), chairman of the committee. Veenstra said he researched the subject using the Washington D.C.-based conservative political lobbying organization Family Research Council as a resource.
"Over the past several decades I've observed cultural changes in our state that in the last few years have created a slippery slope that is negative, not positive," Veenstra said. "The majority of evidence-based research says this is not a good environment to have a good impact on children. There is a disproportionate amount of instability in same-sex relationships and a disproportionate amount of susceptibility to disease. That instability produces a disproportionate amount of domestic violence and a disproportionate amount of child abuse."
"[Veenstra] is a very, very, very conservative person," Sen. Robert Dvorsky (D-Coralville) said. "He really believes this is a good thing to do. I doubt the bill would have much support. It may pass committee, but I don't think it will be brought up on the floor. We're trying to find good foster homes, and it's difficult to do this. I don't know why we would restrict ourselves. If you find good candidates--whoever they are--that would take good care of the kids, that's who you should go with."
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Entertainment News Musto: Tom Daley & Maria Bello Are Bi, Get Used To It 1 hour 24 min ago
- Television WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever! 7:00 AM
- Comedy Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School 6:00 AM
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: These Couples Prove Love Is Love 5:00 AM
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics December 08 2013 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License December 08 2013 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 December 08 2013 2:15 PM