Transgendered woman arrested for bank robberies
BY Advocate.com Editors
March 14 2003 1:00 AM ET
Police in Nassau, N.Y., arrested a transgendered woman Wednesday after they say she robbed several banks to help pay for hormone treatments, Newsday reports. Police charged the woman, whose given name is Patrick Smith, with four counts of third-degree robbery for incidents beginning in February. They said she stole about $6,400. Newsday reported that Smith wore heavy coats during the robbery but that after she was arrested and her coat removed, it became apparent she had breasts. "The ensuing investigation revealed that the proceeds were used to maintain the necessary hormonal medications to maintain [her] female physique," a police spokesman said. Smith told the officers that she is transgendered.
- Time to #BoycottIndiana? Celebs Blow Up Social Media
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- Trixie Mattel on Drag Race Elimination: 'It Was Rude'
- 11 Bad Habits Killing LGBT People
- Ex-BYU Student Assaulted, Evicted After Coming Out
- Audra McDonald Rips Indiana Governor Over Law