Los Angeles may bid for 2010 Gay Games
BY Advocate.com Editors
March 20 2003 1:00 AM ET
Nearly two dozen civic and business leaders from Los Angeles gathered in West Hollywood to begin the process of bringing Gay Games VIII to Los Angeles in 2010. "We're very excited about our prospects and confident in our ability to succeed, especially considering those who are already on board and interested in joining this effort," stated Shamey Cramer, executive director of Los Angeles 2006 Inc., the organization that was responsible for the unsuccessful bid to bring the games to the city in 2006. Montreal won that bid.
Attending the meeting were representatives for state senator Sheila Kuehl, state assembly member Paul Koretz, Los Angeles County supervisor Zev Yaroslavsky, and city council member Eric Garcetti, among others. The bidding process for 2010 will commence later this year, with the final selection being announced in 2005.
"Los Angeles would be proud to host the Gay Games," said Los Angeles mayor Jim Hahn. "Because of our 2006 bid effort, we already have the necessary structure in place for a host organization to work in tandem with our local government agencies to create a truly memorable and financially successful event. We think it's time that the Gay Games comes to the City of Angels. We were ready to host the games in Los Angeles in 2006 and will be for the 2010 games."
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages
- Hot Sheet: A New Quiver
- Boston: Major Beer Sponsor Pulls Out of St. Pat's Parade
- Vox Editor in Chief Defends Hiring of 'Homophobic' Gay Writer
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: A New Quiver 7:30 PM
- Travel State Department: Russia is Dangerous for All Americans 6:55 PM
- Women The 31 Most Eligible Out Women of 2014 6:41 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages 6:39 PM
- Film Is Terence Davies' The Long Day Closes the Greatest Gay Film Ever Made? 5:30 PM
- Media Vox Editor in Chief Defends Hiring of 'Homophobic' Gay Writer 4:37 PM
- Health HHS Orders Insurers to Cover All Married Same-Sex Couples 4:14 PM