New trial ordered in "gay divorce"
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 01 2003 12:00 AM ET
A Beaumont, Tex., judge has vacated an order this week that allowed a gay couple to divorce as a means of dissolving a civil union they'd had performed in Vermont last year. State district judge Tom Mulvaney ordered a new trial two days after Texas attorney general Greg Abbott determined that the divorce was illegal. Abbott said that John Anthony, 34, and Russell Smith, 26, both of Beaumont, could not be divorced because under Texas law they couldn't be legally married. "Texas law does not provide for a dissolution of a civil union, and a divorce cannot be granted where a marriage never existed," Abbott said.
Under Vermont law a civil union is legal between two members of the same sex, although a marriage must be between a woman and a man. Texas does not recognize same-sex unions. Smith, who petitioned for the divorce, said getting the divorce in Texas was expensive and strenuous. But getting the union dissolved in Vermont would have required Smith or Anthony to live in that state for at least one year before a final dissolution hearing could be conducted.
Smith said he had to get a legal divorce for financial reasons. The couple did not file joint income tax returns, but they did have joint auto and life insurance. The two also ran several businesses together, and the division of their assets and properties was done by agreement. His attorney, Ronnie Cohee, said that although Texas law refers to a husband and wife when talking about marriage, state law refers to "parties" when addressing dissolution.
- The Many Faces of LGBT Family
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: Teen Uses Bar Mitzvah Speech to Call for Marriage Equality
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Meet the Lesbian Who Won a Comedy Cage Match
- Commentary Op-ed: Immigration Goes Beyond Documentation 2 hours 58 min ago
- Day in LGBT America The Many Faces of LGBT Family 6:00 AM
- Comedy Meet the Lesbian Who Won a Comedy Cage Match 6:00 AM
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM