Antigay letter sent to Kentucky town residents
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 19 2003 12:00 AM ET
A 24-page booklet published by the antigay Family Research Council has been sent to about 75% of the homes in Covington, Ky., a city of about 50,000 residents, the Cincinnati Enquirer reports. The mailing, coordinated by a group called the Citizens for Community Values, is in opposition to a proposed law that would outlaw discrimination based on sexual orientation. CCV members say the law is unnecessary and would "normalize" homosexuality. The Covington city council is scheduled to consider the proposal within the next two weeks.
The FRC brochure states that homosexuality "has serious emotional and physical dangers associated with it."
"The very people who've been pushing such ordinances in Covington and in towns across America tell us that these human rights ordinances that include sexual orientation are NOT really about discrimination," Phil Burress, president of CCV, wrote in a letter accompanying the brochure. "According to these activists, such ordinances are about 'normalizing' homosexual behavior.... They are about forcing all of us to accept homosexual behavior as normal, healthy, and natural. They are about capturing the minds of the next generation--our children! And they are intended to be one important step toward legalizing same-sex marriages in Kentucky and across the nation."
But Covington resident Dean Forster, cochairman of the Northern Kentucky Fairness Alliance, disagrees. "This ordinance has nothing to do with legalizing same-sex marriages in Kentucky or any state in the union," he said. "It ultimately is directed at discrimination, which does happen. Matthew Shepard was killed [in Wyoming]. The military does not let people in who are openly gay. And testimony offered at public hearings in Covington indicates that [gay] people have been discriminated against."
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Current Issue Editor’s Letter: April/May Issue 44 min 23 sec ago
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 1 hour 45 min ago
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM