Study: Gay and straight couples are similar
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 15 2003 12:00 AM ET
Gay and lesbian couples are slightly better educated than married heterosexual couples and earn similar paychecks, but they aren't as likely to own their homes, according to a study of Census Bureau data released Tuesday. In 2000 more than 35% of people living with same-sex partners had a college degree compared with 28% of opposite-sex married couples and 19% of opposite-sex unmarried couples, according to the analysis commissioned and released Tuesday by the Human Rights Campaign, a Washington, D.C.-based gay rights group. Median wages earned by gay and lesbian couples were equal to those of married heterosexual couples at about $32,000, $8,000 more than for opposite-sex unmarried couples. About 64% of same-sex couples owned their homes, compared with 78% of married partners and 41% of heterosexual unmarried couples.
The data were culled from detailed 2000 census data released for 15 states so far. The HRC study includes data from California, New York, and Texas--the states with the greatest number of same-sex couple households. Other states covered in the report were Vermont, Nebraska, Alabama, Florida, Illinois, Kansas, Maryland, New Jersey, Ohio, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, and Wyoming.
HRC strategist David Smith said the study shows that gay and lesbian couples are "a mirror image of the majority of families in the country" and should have the same benefits and protections. The 2000 census was the first in which the bureau extensively analyzed data for unmarried partners, regardless of sexual orientation.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference March 11 2014 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families March 11 2014 6:45 PM
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia March 11 2014 6:27 PM
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis March 11 2014 6:25 PM
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 March 11 2014 5:55 PM