Civil rights charges levied in egging incident
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 15 2003 11:00 PM ET
Two college students who threw eggs at a gay student club's booth at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, Calif., on February 13 now face charges of civil rights violations. District attorney's office spokeswoman Michelle Goula said crimes of that nature are cited from the same section of the state penal code as hate crimes, even when they are not labeled as such. One of the attackers, William Bugenig, 22, expressed remorse for the incident. "I didn't mean any harm to anybody," Bugenig told The [San Luis Obispo] Tribune. "Anyone that was there, I totally apologize for it. I know I was in the wrong."
Bugenig, who lives in Morro Bay, and Nicolas Taliaferro, 20, who lives in San Luis Obispo and attends Cuesta College, are charged with one count each of violating civil rights and damaging property. The two are to be arraigned June 9. If convicted, each could face up to one year in jail, a $5,000 fine, and 400 hours of community service for the misdemeanor charge. Court and police records show that Bugenig and Taliaferro each threw two eggs at a booth staffed by the group Gays, Lesbians, and Bisexuals United. "I viewed the booth to be located in a free speech area on campus," Bugenig said in a statement submitted to police, "and I guess you could say that this was my attempt to express my opinion, which, obviously, I went about in totally the wrong way."
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- 15 Gifts to Keep You Gorgeous
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- Women WATCH: Ellen Will Tell You if She and Portia Are Getting Divorced! 17 min 55 sec ago
- World News Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance' 29 min 13 sec ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Whet Your Appetite for Gay Polo's Biggest Event 30 min 38 sec ago
- The Wedding Channel Coast Guard Academy Sees First Same-Sex Engagement Announcement 34 min 27 sec ago
- Television Behind The Candelabra Leads Golden Globes' TV Awards With 4 Noms 1 hour 18 min ago
- Comedy WATCH: Billy Eichner and Amy Poehler Have Aggressive Christmas Spirit 11:17 AM
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: One Day in Big Gaylarious America 7:00 AM