Gay wedding by Anglican diocese infuriates traditionalists
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 30 2003 11:00 PM ET
Leaders of the Anglican Church have strongly denounced a liberal bishop in Canada for authorizing what amounts to the church's first gay wedding, The [Sydney] Daily Telegraph reports. Evangelical leaders have demanded firm action against the Reverend Michael Ingham, bishop of New Westminster, after he issued a rite for same-sex blessings in his diocese in western Canada. Anglicanism's first officially sanctioned same-sex blessing took place on Thursday night in St. Margaret's Church in Vancouver after Bishop Ingham published the rite.
According to CBC News British Columbia, the historic exchange of vows marked the 21-year relationship between Michael Kalmuk, 49, and Kelly Montfort, 62. Kalmuk, who is a lifelong Christian, says it was an important moment for the two men. "This is a big part of our life," he says. "God has been in my life since the first day and will be with me and Kelly until the end of his life."
The issue of same-sex blessings has created a major rift in the New Westminster diocese. Eight of the 80 parishes have withdrawn their financial support for the diocese and refuse to recognize Bishop Ingham's authority.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- 10 Snarky Quotes That Will Make You Miss Michael Kors on Project Runway
- The Many Faces of LGBT Family
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Travel PHOTOS: Happy Gay People on Beaches 11 min 26 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Behold! Tina Fey & Amy Poehler Are Back in First Golden Globes Promo 52 min 4 sec ago
- Entertainment News Carmen Carrera & Her Victoria's Secret Dream 1 hour 49 min ago
- Politics India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban 2 hours 23 min ago
- Media Edie Windsor Is No. 3 on Time's Person of Year Shortlist 11:09 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Immigration Goes Beyond Documentation 7:00 AM
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: The Many Faces of LGBT Family 6:00 AM