Louisiana senate kills effort to repeal sodomy law
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 11 2003 11:00 PM ET
An effort to repeal Louisiana's 197-year-old sodomy law failed in the state senate Tuesday evening, the latest in a series of legislative and legal defeats stretching back several years. The effort, sponsored by Sen. Lynn Dean (R-Braithwaite), would have legalized private consensual sex acts that are otherwise illegal--what the current law calls a "crime against nature." The bill narrowly made it out of a senate committee two weeks ago, but Tuesday's defeat was decisive, even though no one spoke against it. Last fall a state appeals court upheld the 19th-century law.
Opponents of a repeal have traditionally linked the measure to gay rights, making passage in a body with a large proportion of members from conservative areas unlikely. During the committee hearings a Louisiana Family Forum representative said repeal of the state's sodomy law would lead to disease and child abuse. Dean made only a brief speech Tuesday. "When it's done privately, they should have freedom to do this," he said. "This bill has nothing to do with children. Right now the only thing standing between a substantial number of our Louisiana citizens and prosecution" is the inclination of authorities not to pursue charges, Dean said.
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- WATCH: Right-Wing 'Documentary' Tries to Defend 'Ex-Gay' Therapy
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! 56 sec ago
- Coming Out WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video 23 min 48 sec ago
- People Photo of the Day: DLB and Tom Daley Share a Moment in Houston 31 min 16 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Australia Re-Bans Same-Sex Marriage 39 min 21 sec ago
- Entertainment News Damien Lewis vs. Ian McKellen: Homeland Actor Apologizes 41 min 56 sec ago
- Politics WATCH: Right-Wing 'Documentary' Tries to Defend 'Ex-Gay' Therapy 50 min 4 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Ellen Will Tell You if She and Portia Are Getting Divorced! 2 hours 9 min ago