U.K. considers gay partners law
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 30 2003 11:00 PM ET
The United Kingdom unveiled controversial plans Monday that would give same-sex couples the same
legal rights as married people. Under the proposals, gays and lesbians would be able to sign an official document of civil partnership at a registrar's office, giving them pension and property entitlements. The contracts would be available only to same-sex couples and not be set up as an alternative to heterosexual marriage--a position that was immediately attacked by a prominent gay rights campaigner as "heterophobic." The government's plans were set out in a consultation paper, with newspapers reporting that a bill containing the reforms could be introduced into Parliament this year.
"This is not about being PC but about bringing law and practice into line with the reality of people's lives," said Jacqui Smith, the government's deputy minister for women and equality, as she unveiled the
proposals. Smith added, "Same-sex couples often face a range of humiliating, distressing, and unnecessary problems because of a lack of legal recognition. Civil partnership registration would underline the inherent value of committed same-sex relationships. It would open the way to respect, recognition, and justice for those who have been denied it too long."
If the proposals are passed by Parliament, registered gay couples will be given next-of-kin rights in hospitals, the right to benefit from a deceased partner's pension, and exemption from inheritance tax on a partner's home.
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas?
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year 21 min 37 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination 1 hour 21 min ago
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer 4:00 AM
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual December 06 2013 8:30 PM
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? December 06 2013 7:26 PM
- Election Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary December 06 2013 6:53 PM