Catholic bishops support marriage amendment
September 10 2003 11:00 PM ET
The leaders of the nation's Roman Catholic bishops announced their "general support" Wednesday for a proposed amendment to the U.S. Constitution that would define marriage strictly as a union of a man and a woman. The 50-member administrative committee of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, meeting privately in Washington, D.C., acted after the Vatican issued a call to defend traditional marriage and the Canadian government decided to legalize same-sex marriage.
The bishops said "the church's teaching about the dignity of homosexual persons is clear. They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity," but that does not mean changing marriage laws. The statement maintained that protection of marriage requires, among other things, advocacy of legislation and public policies that "define and support marriage as a unique, essential relationship and institution."
"At a time when family life is under significant stress, the principled defense of marriage is an urgent necessity to ensure the flourishing of persons, the well-being of children, and the common good of society," the bishops said.
The Vatican denounced same-sex marriage in a July decree from its doctrinal office. President Bush has not endorsed the proposed constitutional amendment but has said marriage should be between a man and a woman and that "we ought to codify that one way or the other."
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- 10 Snarky Quotes That Will Make You Miss Michael Kors on Project Runway
- The Many Faces of LGBT Family
- Entertainment News GQ Germany Features Famous Straight Men Kissing for Tolerance 36 min 55 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Kim Stolz's Ridiculously Beautiful Wedding Video 1 hour 30 min ago
- Politics N.J. Legislature Could Enshrine Marriage Equality into State Law 1 hour 47 min ago
- Transgender Coalition Still Short in Bid to Repeal Calif. Trans Student Law 1 hour 56 min ago
- Religion Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks 2 hours 21 min ago
- Film WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online 2 hours 24 min ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Happy Gay People on Beaches 2 hours 57 min ago