Philadelphia ads to target gay travelers
June 03 2004 12:00 AM ET
A new TV ad campaign featuring a same-sex couple in colonial costume invites gay tourists to come to the City of Brotherly Love, and a gay media group said it's the first time a television commercial for a U.S. tourist destination has reached out to gay men and lesbians.
The 30-second spot, which was scheduled to air for the first time Wednesday night in Philadelphia and other parts of the country, ends with the tag line "Come to Philadelphia. Get your history straight and your nightlife gay."
The commercial will play on channels such as Bravo, MTV, VH1, and Style in Comcast Corp. cable markets nationwide. Comcast is the country's largest cable company, with 21.5 million subscribers. "This is an invitation, that you [gays] are welcome here, because of what Philadelphia is and what Philadelphia has to offer and because we have a strong gay community," said Meryl Levitz, president and chief executive of the Greater Philadelphia Tourism Marketing Corp., which is sponsoring the ad campaign. "And we're not saying it's a gay destination; it's a gay-friendly destination."
The private tourism group began its gay-themed campaign with print ads last November, and Levitz said only a few people complained about them.
A man in the commercial is seen writing a letter by candlelight to his "dearest beloved" and asks to meet at Independence Hall. Once at the hall, he rebuffs an interested female and gives his bouquet of flowers to his male partner. As the scene plays out, a narrator says, "Philadelphia and its countryside has a long history of making everyone feel welcome and free." The word Philadelphia is shown in a rainbow of colors.
The commercial is the first TV ad by a city or resort to target a gay audience, said Mike Wilke, executive director of the Commercial Closet Association, a nonprofit group that tracks gay representation in ads.
- Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Blasts Critics of Obama's Funny or Die Interview
- Gay Women - News & Culture for Lesbian, Bisexual, and Trans Women
- Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages
- Travel WATCH: Planes Battle Birmingham, England's Tail Winds 6 min 52 sec ago
- Religion Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia 1 hour 36 min ago
- Television WATCH: Out Rapper Le1f on Letterman 2:59 PM
- People WATCH: The Strong Bond Between Straight Women and Gay Men 2:52 PM
- Transgender Trans Contestant is Miss Congeniality at Calif. Beauty Pageant 11:57 AM
- Theater Injury Sidelines Christopher Sieber in Matilda 5:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina 4:00 AM