Chavez Nixes Cyndi Lauper Concert Because She's Pro-Gay
December 02 2008 1:00 AM ET
Cyndi Lauper was
supposed to conclude her world tour over the weekend
with a concert in Caracas, Venezuela -- but according to PerezHilton.com and a
blog posting on one of her fan sites, the concert was
canceled because of her support of gay rights.
According to the
posting, Venezuelan president Hugo Chavez canceled the
concert because he “had fear of political
protests.” He also allegedly opposed
Lauper’s endorsement of President-elect Barack Obama
and her outspoken support of gay rights.
expected to comment on the canceled concert in a blog
posting on her official website, www.CyndiLauper.com.
Lauper was touring in support of her latest album,
Bring Ya to the Brink.
- Reba McEntire: First Time I Saw a Reba Drag Queen 'It Really Ticked Me Off'
- Bruce Jenner: 'I'm A Woman'
- Op-ed: Michfest's Founder Chose to Shut Down Rather Than Change With the Times
- 7 Lessons in How (And How Not) to Interview Trans People
- AIDS Org. Made Men Over 40 Pay to Attend Pool Party
- Ted Cruz/OUT NYC Fallout: Broadway Cares Cancels Benefit at Hotel