Chavez Nixes Cyndi Lauper Concert Because She's Pro-Gay
December 02 2008 1:00 AM ET
Cyndi Lauper was
supposed to conclude her world tour over the weekend
with a concert in Caracas, Venezuela -- but according to PerezHilton.com and a
blog posting on one of her fan sites, the concert was
canceled because of her support of gay rights.
According to the
posting, Venezuelan president Hugo Chavez canceled the
concert because he “had fear of political
protests.” He also allegedly opposed
Lauper’s endorsement of President-elect Barack Obama
and her outspoken support of gay rights.
expected to comment on the canceled concert in a blog
posting on her official website, www.CyndiLauper.com.
Lauper was touring in support of her latest album,
Bring Ya to the Brink.
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Smacks Down States Resisting Marriage Equality
- Yet Another Court Tells Bobby Jindal to Issue Marriage Licenses
- The Marriage Equality Photo Seen Round the World
- Op-ed: What Happened When President Obama Met Two Trans Service Members