D.C. Trans Woman Dies After Thursday Attack
BY Trudy Ring
February 04 2012 2:05 PM ET
The transgender woman who was stabbed at a Washington, D.C., bus stop Thursday night has died, and activists have identified her as Deoni Jones, 22.
She was stabbed in the head about 8:15 p.m. at a bus stop at East Capitol Street N.E. and Sycamore Road and taken to a hospital in grave condition. She died early Friday morning, Metro Weekly reports.
The paper reports that Mara Keisling, executive director of the D.C.-based National Center for Transgender Equality, and Jason Terry of the D.C. Transgender Coalition both identified the victim as Jones.
Terry also denounced media coverage of the attack, as some outlets referred to the victim as a “man living as a woman.”
“We condemn in the strongest possible terms the transphobic language deployed by several media outlets last night and this morning,” Terry said. “While we certainly agree that the general public needs to be aware of trans communities’ losses and successes, it is imperative that members of the press refer to trans people in a way that respects each person’s gender identity or expression.”
Jones’s attacker fled the scene and has not yet been apprehended. The Metropolitan Police Department asks that people with information that may lead to an arrest call (202) 727-9099 or send it in anonymously by texting 50411. The department offers a reward of up to $25,000 for information leading to arrest and conviction in homicide cases.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem 1 hour 10 min ago
- Entertainment News Should Brazil Legalize 'Conversion' Therapy? 1 hour 32 min ago
- World News Liberal Australian MP Crosses Aisle In Support of LGBT Nondiscrimination 1 hour 44 min ago
- Women WATCH: Hot Lesbians Don Cowboy Hats, Chaps and Spurs for Cowgirl Up 1 hour 56 min ago
- Pride PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine 2 hours 12 min ago
- World News Brazil Lawmakers Legalize 'Ex-Gay' Therapy 2 hours 16 min ago
- Sports Navratilova Blasts Russian Antigay Law 2 hours 20 min ago