D.C. Trans Woman Dies After Thursday Attack
BY Trudy Ring
February 04 2012 1:05 PM ET
The transgender woman who was stabbed at a Washington, D.C., bus stop Thursday night has died, and activists have identified her as Deoni Jones, 22.
She was stabbed in the head about 8:15 p.m. at a bus stop at East Capitol Street N.E. and Sycamore Road and taken to a hospital in grave condition. She died early Friday morning, Metro Weekly reports.
The paper reports that Mara Keisling, executive director of the D.C.-based National Center for Transgender Equality, and Jason Terry of the D.C. Transgender Coalition both identified the victim as Jones.
Terry also denounced media coverage of the attack, as some outlets referred to the victim as a “man living as a woman.”
“We condemn in the strongest possible terms the transphobic language deployed by several media outlets last night and this morning,” Terry said. “While we certainly agree that the general public needs to be aware of trans communities’ losses and successes, it is imperative that members of the press refer to trans people in a way that respects each person’s gender identity or expression.”
Jones’s attacker fled the scene and has not yet been apprehended. The Metropolitan Police Department asks that people with information that may lead to an arrest call (202) 727-9099 or send it in anonymously by texting 50411. The department offers a reward of up to $25,000 for information leading to arrest and conviction in homicide cases.
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics 1 hour 2 min ago
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License 1 hour 46 min ago
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 2 hours 2 min ago
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM