BY Chris Jai Centeno
August 25 2009 3:25 PM ET
Minnesota homeowner Ross Sveback says he is still shaken after his home was vandalized with antigay graffiti earlier this month.
"To be honest, I am scared," Sveback told Advocate.com in a phone interview. "I have a hard time sleeping at night. If I see a car parked outside of the house, I'm in a panic. I'm scared but I don't want them to know I'm scared, you know what I mean?"
Sveback and his sister woke up on the morning of August 16 to discover large green scrawls of the words "HIV," "AIDS," "gay," and "help" on the exterior of his house. Sveback, 40, said the vandalism is unprecedented in his quiet suburban neighborhood located about 25 miles from Minneapolis.
Police have neither called any suspects for questioning nor charged anyone with the crime, although Sveback believes that there is a "person of interest" in the incident.
The Afton, Minn.–based entrepreneur owns a lifestyle and entertainment company called Kon-tent and has appeared on local television stations offering cooking and recipe tips. Sveback, who is developing a lifestyle television show in Minneapolis, was sidelined from speaking in public or to the press about the crime.
"I didn't want to be bullied or threatened by other people, but my safety was called into question, and [that of] my daughters," Sveback said, adding that his 13-year-old daughter also lives with him. "I have to risk anything to stand up for what I believe in. People are not supposed to be treated this way. I just want people to know to stand up regardless of whether they are scared. Some people will need to shame you, but we cannot be shamed just because we're gay."
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good as Dead, Say Advocates
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says
- Democrats and Republicans Alike Wary of Virginia's Radical Lt. Gov. Nominee
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women INTERVIEW: Vicci Martinez Speaks her Truth 1 hour 7 min ago
- Politics Neither Democrats Nor Republicans Pleased With Virginia's GOP Lt. Gov. Nominee 2 hours 2 min ago
- Entertainment News Bling King: Liberace Car, Piano on View in NYC 2 hours 19 min ago
- Love and Sex Dear Digital Romeo: How Do I Seduce a Guy Through Chat? 2 hours 42 min ago
- Women Free Kate — She's Been Targeted Before, Says Father 4:09 PM
- Marriage Equality Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says 3:26 PM
- Women Op-Ed: Case of Lesbian Teen Kaitlyn Hunt Raises Questions About Sexual Double Standard 3:13 PM