BY Julie Bolcer
August 27 2009 10:25 PM ET
The Anchorage assembly took no action Tuesday to override the mayor’s veto of an LGBT rights ordinance, missing its first opportunity to reverse what appears to be the likely defeat of the measure, reports the Anchorage Daily News.
Mayor Dan Sullivan (pictured) vetoed the non-discrimination ordinance last week, saying that he believed it was unnecessary and that most constituents had expressed opposition to it.
The ordinance, which passed by a vote of 7 to 4 on August 11 after an emotional debate, would ban discrimination against LGBT people in employment, housing, finance, and public accommodations.
Eight votes are needed in the assembly to override the mayor’s veto, and there is no indication that any legislator has changed his or her mind. Legislators have 21 days from the veto date of August 17 to accomplish the override.
Assembly chairwoman Debbie Ossiander, who is considered a possible swing vote, said she has received hundreds of e-mails and phone calls each day from all over the country. However, she continues to oppose the measure as written because of the compliance requirements she believes it may impose on businesses.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Lesbian Facing Felony for Same-Sex Relationship Says Daughter's Been Targeted Before
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good As Dead, Say Advocates
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women Free Kate — She's Been Targeted Before, Says Father 25 min 33 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says 1 hour 8 min ago
- Women Op-Ed: Case of Lesbian Teen Kaitlyn Hunt Raises Questions About Sexual Double Standard 1 hour 21 min ago
- Music WATCH: Is This the Worst Music Video Ever? 1 hour 35 min ago
- Transgender Jesse Tyler Ferguson Slams His Former School's Transphobic Graduation Policy 1 hour 35 min ago
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame 1 hour 36 min ago
- Politics Democratic 'Betrayal' Leaves Binational Couples Stranded 1 hour 48 min ago