BY Julie Bolcer
August 31 2009 12:00 PM ET
Iowa ethics officials sent a letter to the National Organization for Marriage questioning the group about possible violations of campaign finance laws, reports the blog HRC Back Story.
Last week, NOM launched its Reclaim Iowa Project, a multiyear effort to pass a constitutional amendment that would overturn the state supreme court’s unanimous April 2009 decision legalizing same-sex marriage. NOM purchased $86,068 worth of advertisements in support of Stephen Burgmeier (pictured), a Des Moines–area state house candidate who wants to put marriage equality to a public vote.
The letter from the Iowa Ethics and Campaign Disclosure Board to NOM executive director Brian Brown, dated August 27, warns NOM that it will need to register as a political action committee if people make donations of more than $750 for “express advocacy activities.” It also clarifies that NOM will need to disclose its donors, in spite of the organization’s reported promise of anonymity to contributors.
“The independent expenditure process in Iowa is not a vehicle to shield political contributions,” says the letter.
NOM is also being questioned about its activities in Maine, where it provides support to Stand for Marriage Maine, the group that succeeded in placing a referendum on the new marriage equality law on the November ballot.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Sports WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers 7:04 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black 6:00 AM
- Bisexual Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too 5:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM