BY Julie Bolcer
August 31 2009 1:00 PM ET
Iowa ethics officials sent a letter to the National Organization for Marriage questioning the group about possible violations of campaign finance laws, reports the blog HRC Back Story.
Last week, NOM launched its Reclaim Iowa Project, a multiyear effort to pass a constitutional amendment that would overturn the state supreme court’s unanimous April 2009 decision legalizing same-sex marriage. NOM purchased $86,068 worth of advertisements in support of Stephen Burgmeier (pictured), a Des Moines–area state house candidate who wants to put marriage equality to a public vote.
The letter from the Iowa Ethics and Campaign Disclosure Board to NOM executive director Brian Brown, dated August 27, warns NOM that it will need to register as a political action committee if people make donations of more than $750 for “express advocacy activities.” It also clarifies that NOM will need to disclose its donors, in spite of the organization’s reported promise of anonymity to contributors.
“The independent expenditure process in Iowa is not a vehicle to shield political contributions,” says the letter.
NOM is also being questioned about its activities in Maine, where it provides support to Stand for Marriage Maine, the group that succeeded in placing a referendum on the new marriage equality law on the November ballot.
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Ban on Blood Donations by Gay Men
- Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay?
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
- Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women WATCH: Amy Schumer Uses Tig Notaro's Cancer for Her Own Personal Gain 17 min 20 sec ago
- Crime Editor of Gay Website Beaten in London 19 min 40 sec ago
- Film We Steal Secrets: Is Bradley Manning a Hero? 21 min 59 sec ago
- Film A Drinking Game for the Liberace Movie 22 min 26 sec ago
- Health News Canada Lifts Lifetime Ban on Blood Donations by Gay Men 1 hour 32 min ago
- Youth Does AIDS in the Endzone Fumble? 10:58 AM
- Theater Five Decades Remembered At the Flash 10:07 AM