BY Julie Bolcer
August 31 2009 1:15 PM ET
The Press of Atlantic City offers a revealing look into the dynamics of the ground war building around marriage equality in New Jersey, where volunteers called Marriage Minutemen are fighting prospective same-sex marriage legislation through church-based volunteer activities aligned with antigay advocacy organizations.
New Jersey legislators are widely expected to consider a same-sex marriage bill in a lame duck session after the November gubernatorial election and before the January swearing-in ceremony.
In advance of the likely vote, the Marriage Minutemen have built a significant presence at the Chestnut Assembly of God, a Pentecostal church in Vineland, in the southern part of the state. The church is led by the Reverend Ralph Snook and his wife, Marilyn, who believe that gay people can be “cured.”
Chestnut Assembly of God was instrumental in asking the Vineland City Council to pass a resolution against same-sex marriage in 2008, following the city of Elizabeth, in northern New Jersey. The church works closely with the New Jersey Family Policy Council, a group that opposes marriage equality and coined the term Marriage Minutemen.
Some 10% of the state’s 1,400 Marriage Minutemen are believed to live and volunteer in Vineland. Their phone and letter writing campaign has not escaped marriage equality advocates, who are devoting time, attention, and resources to the area.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Music EXCLUSIVE: Audra McDonald's 'Some Days' 42 min 29 sec ago
- Travel A Handy, Color-Coded Map to Gay Europe 55 min 53 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 4:40 AM
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 4:00 AM
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM